The Rotary Youth Leadership Award (RYLA) is a six-day Leadership and Personal Development seminar for young adults aged between 18 and 25 years who are nominated and sponsored by their local Rotary Club (within Rotary District 9780 – South West Victoria and South East Australia) to attend.
This seminar, overseen by Co-Directors and their team of past RYLA participants covers topics such as leadership, motivation, goal setting, value-based decision making, confidence, self-esteem, community contribution and resilience. The program has run for many years and variations of it occur annually in Rotary Districts all over the world. This District has developed what we believe is a unique approach. The program is frequently described by past participants as “life-changing” and “way beyond expectations.” Experience has also shown the development of strong, life-long friendships and networks among RYLA participants.
For 2020 the Seminar is to be run between Saturday April 4th and Thursday April 9th at “Kangaroobie”, near Princetown in the Otway Ranges. If you would like to attend, contact a Rotary Club in District 9780 and ask if they will support you. If you are in employment, we encourage you to approach your employer and see if they will make the approach to the local Rotary Club. The nominating Rotary Club pays for your attendance at the Camp, including meals and assistance (as required) with transport. There is an expectation that you will be a keen participant, and that, after attendance, you may attend a Rotary meeting to discuss the experience.
To attend, you must be aged between 18-25 within the period of the course; there are no exceptions to this. You may be in employment or a student. There are no other formal qualifications but you must be prepared to participate in group discussions, socialisation, and some physical activities.
As a prospective attendee, the process is as follows:
- You will be interviewed by your sponsoring Rotary Club to determine your suitability for the Camp.
- You will have to fill in the application form and pass this back to the Rotary Club. They will then fill in Club information and send the form and payment to the RYLA admissions officer. The sponsoring Club is responsible for communication with the RYLA committee and for maintaining the liaison between RYLA and the applicant.
- From time to time we may require additional information – particularly on health or related issues.
- You will be notified of your acceptance for a place in the camp early in 2020. You are expected to acknowledge this (and your acceptance of the place) to the Registrations Officer.
- You will be contacted about a week before the camp to ensure that all is well with your attendance at the Camp. You are also expected to maintain communications with your Sponsoring Club – particularly if there is a change in circumstances in your life.
Your sponsoring Rotary Club will ensure that you have transport to and from the Camp, and should help you with any difficulties which may arise. Commonly these might include discussions with employers or Course Coordinators. However, you may also care to contact the RYLA Registrations Officer who will also endeavour to resolve issues (usually in conjunction with the sponsoring Club).
If you need more information, email the RYLA secretary, Chris Kinley, on [email protected], and he will send you out further information. Please note that your application to attend can only be made through a District 9780 Rotary Club.
Application Form (2020, Download)
Information for Employers Document (2020, Download)
Rtn Sherrril McKay
RYLA District 9780 Registrations Officer
PO Box 578
Mount Gambier, SA 5290
Phone: 0407 038 332
Email: [email protected]